Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl (R-AZ) recently stood on the Senate floor and stated that abortions are “well over 90% of what Planned Parenthood does.” In reality, abortions only make up about 3% of the health and reproductive services Planned Parenthood provides. When this glaring error was pointed out to Senator Kyl, he released a statement saying that the statistic he gave on the Senate floor was “not intended to be a factual statement.”
Inspired by Senator Kyl, I came up with some statements of my own…
- Well over 90% of the U.S. Population lives in the state of North Carolina.
- Way more than 90% of U.S. Senators are members of the Tea Party Caucus.
- Well over 90% of travelers get pat-downs at the airport by the TSA.
- Kazakhstan and Libya combine to take up well over 90% of the total land area of the world.
- Well over 90% of Americans think it should be legal to text while driving.
- Justin Bieber drives well over 90% of Twitter traffic.
- Well over 90% of people suffer from lazy eye, bipolar disorder and food allergies.
- Ralph Nader received well over 90% of the popular vote in the 2000 Presidential campaign.
- Well over 90% of the population of Washington D.C. is HIV positive.
- In 2006, Jon Kyl’s Libertarian opponent for U.S. Senate, Richard Mack, received well over 90% of the vote.
Note: None of these were intended to be factual statements.