Just like last year…
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Got an Oregon Drivers License, lived by myself, bought a car (photos coming soon!), successfully navigated a long-distance relationship.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did pretty well, honestly. And I’m going to try to revive the ones I’ve been slacking on. I’m also adding one WHOPPER for 2010 – I am going to run a 5 mile race.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! I got two new baby cousins this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. Thank goodness.
5. What countries did you visit?
Just Canada. Wait, does Vegas count as a foreign country?
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 20th – Barack Obama’s Inauguration Day (and the day the Kilmorey burned down).
May 9th – Galen took me on our first date.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Living on my own has been very empowering, as silly as that sounds. I always thought I’d hate it, but it’s been pretty nice.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I don’t like this question. I failed to pay a couple of bills on time?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing more serious that the Swine Flu, thankfully.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I’m hoping my new(ish) car will fill this role.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I’m going to change those words to “disappointed and confused” and say President Obama. Not overall, mind you, but I’m still sort of confused about a few things, like the deployment of so many troops to Afghanistan.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Pretty much every time Galen came to visit. And my cousins having babies.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
“Boom Boom Pow” – Black Eyed Peas
“Don’t Trust Me” – 3Oh!3
“Battlefield” – Jordin Sparks
“Poker Face” – Lady Gaga
“I’m Yours” – Jason Mraz
“Love Story” – Taylor Swift
“Single Ladies” – Beyonce
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
happier or sadder? Happier
thinner or fatter? Thinner, I think. Maybe the same.
richer or poorer? About the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I’d spent more time in Montana.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I wish I’d spent less time worrying about the future.
20. Did you fall in love in 2009?
21. What was your favorite TV program?
The Daily Show, 30 Rock, So You Think You Can Dance, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Boston Legal (reruns).
22. What was the best book you read?
It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong
23. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Zac Brown Band
24. What did you want and get?
A new job, a new car, A fabulous boyfriend.
25. What did you want and not get?
More sunshine. It’s never enough.
26. What was your favorite film of this year?
Wow, I saw so few (as always). I’m going to have to go with either The Hangover or Bolt. I saw both of them without knowing anything about them, really, so I was pleasantly surprised.
27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 26 and went to one of my favorite bars with almost all of my favorite people in Portland. It was a wonderful reminder that I have friends of all ages from many different areas of my life, and they’re all amazing. It was also a reminder that tequila shots are never a good idea.
28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I’m going to state the obvious here and say that living in the same city as my boyfriend would have made a huge difference.
29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Jewel tones. And jeans whenever possible. (Damn you, new dress code at work! *Shakes fist*)
30. What kept you sane?
31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I’m going to change “fancy” to “admire” and go with Heather Armstrong.
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
Healthcare stirred me so much it left me exhausted and more than a little depressed.
33. Who did you miss?
Galen, my family, my friends who live elsewhere.
34. Who was the best new person you met?
It’s hard to believe I only met Galen in April…
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
I have very high standards when it comes to my close friends. In return, they have my undying loyalty and love.
36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Now my feet turn the corner back home
Sun turns the evening to rose
Stars turning high up above
You turn me into somebody loved
–Somebody Loved, by The Weepies